Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Glassing The Hull

 I own a sign company, and a conservative guess would be that I have applied more than one hundred thousand square feet of PSA vinyl with a plastic squeegee over the past fifteen years. It turns out that when it comes to applying epoxy to fiberglass cloth, a plastic squeegee is not my friend. Rob Macks of Laughing Loon  recommends using a foam roller to wet out the fiberglass, he gives very detailed instructions in the shop tips section of his website.

Once I switched from the squeegee to the roller method wetting out the fiberglass cloth on the two hulls went very smoothly. The roller gave me more control over how much epoxy I was laying down. Putting the epoxy in a roller tray kept it cooler longer and gave me ample working time to get the batches on the boats.
My two favorite materials are diamondplate and carbon fiber, unfortunately I can't figure a way to incorporate diamondplate into a wooden kayak


No comments:

Post a Comment