Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Carbon Fiber Layup On Coaming



The cockpit rims on these boats are being finished with a carbon fiber layup. The fabric is 5.5oz twill weave from U.S. Composites. I cut an oversized piece and laid it over the coaming and cockpit opening, gently smoothing the wrinkles and puckers by hand.

After I was satisfied with the way the fabric was laying I poured a generous amount of unthickened epoxy around the rim. I worked the epoxy into the carbon fiber using a plastic squeegee and a disposable chip brush. The squeegee was used to hold the fabric from sliding while I pushed and dabbed with the brush to work the epoxy into the fabric.

Once the fabric was thoroughly saturated I laid pieces of fiberglass cloth over top of the carbon fiber and wet out the fiberglass with more epoxy. I read so many posts on the forum warning that carbon fiber should be covered in fiberglass to help contain sharp splinters and shards in case it shattered, that I became convinced it was just a ticking timebomb ready to explode at any moment and shower any unsuspecting bystanders with "Carbon Fiber Shrapnel".

No comments:

Post a Comment